Terms of Reference
OpenLand is operated by a voluntary Board from its membership.
A network for real estate professionals based in the Midlands aiming to progress equality for lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans professionals working within the real estate, property and construction sectors.
We strive to:
- provide a welcoming, supportive, safe and confidential space for LGBT real estate professionals to meet, share and discuss views, experiences or concerns.
- provide opportunities for peer networking, information sharing, and personal and professional development for OpenLand members.
- raise the profile, inspire and promote the achievements of LGBT real estate professionals.
- develop and maintain relationships with other relevant external LGBT groups and networks.
- provide a platform for fundraising for LGBT community related charities. (Charity to be selected by the Board from time to time).
Membership and Structure
Membership is open to all individuals who:
- identify themselves as being Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual or Trans; and
- are professionals within industries and organisations within our supported sectors.
An application for membership will be made online via the OpenLand website and the Board’s decision will be final in relation to each application. The Network’s Board can exercise discretion to suspend a member where the individual has demonstrated views, opinions or actions that would significantly conflict with:
- the Aims listed above, and/or,
- upholding good relations between people with different protected characteristics, namely age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion and belief, gender and sexual orientation.
OpenLand will have its own Board that oversees the running of the Network and will form a governing body from within its membership. The Board will aim to be representative of the Network membership. Membership roles shall include:
Two Co-Chairs, who will be responsible for:
- ensuring that the Network acts in accordance with the Aims listed above;
- promoting the different interests and common concerns of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Trans communities served by the Network;
- representing the Network to internal and external stakeholders; and
- determining membership of OpenLand and the Board.
Additional board members will be appointed in order to assist with the development and delivery of the following:
- Identifying host organisations and organising a calendar of networking events.
- Professional development
- Audience development and engagement
- Membership support
- Employer engagement
- Charitable support
Additional board members, will be appointed by the Co-Chairs.
The Board requires three people to be quorate, including at least one of the Co-Chairs.
A review of the Board will be conducted at the end of each year, giving governing members the opportunity to opt out or change role if they find their circumstances change.
The Network will operate without a set budget and will operate in a not for profit capacity.
A meeting space for the Board will be provided by board members. The group will aim to meet at least 3 times a year.
OpenLand events will be hosted by approaching organisations affiliated with the Network.
The Board will be responsible for securing suitable venues for OpenLand events.
OpenLand will aim to hold at least four professional networking and professional development events every year.
Modifications to these Terms of Reference will require the agreement of both Co-Chairs.
Updated April 2016